Thursday, November 08, 2007

Good kids get... Fishballs!



I have fond memories of fishballs.

I remember the old Prairie Market in Burien. begging my mom for fishballs. Sometimes I convince her to open them in the parking lot, i'd eat them cold, out of the can. Other times we'd wait for dinner... mom would make gravy... i loved the white, fluffy, even-consistency, fiskbuller! yum.

Now that i have my own kids i'd like to continue the fishball tradition (jana doesn't care for canned, bottled, buried or pickled fish - so i'm on my own here). I purchased two cans of fiskbullers at IKEA... and set my plan in motion... tonight Jana was working late, kids were hungry, the conditions were perfect...

ME: You kids have been sooooo good the last few days, i'm really proud of you.
KIDS: (no comment, sensing a set-up they just looked cute and listened to my pitch)
ME: You know what bestemor (my mom) did when I was a good kid?
KIDS: What?
ME: Well... i would beg and beg bestemor for fishballs, and if I was REALLY good, she would make fishballs for dinner! Ohhh they were soooo good!! Ya know... you kids have been so good... if you were to beg for fishballs... i guess i could make some for you... you've been so good...
Karsten: (hands in praying position) Oh PLEASE, FISHBALLS, PLEASE!!!
ME: (singing the swedish chef song from muppets, which i turned into a fishball song somehow - all i know is it ends with - bor bor bor!!)

By this time the kids were in a fishball frenzy.

I cracked the first can. Ahhh. Fishballs in red sauce. mic'd that sucker for 1 minute. and the kids devoured it.

They begged for more.

I cracked the second can. Fishballs in water. Karsten demanded sauce. So, i mixed the new fishballs with some leftover red sauce and pow, devoured.

My kids downed TWO cans of fishballs. A day i'll fondly remember.

Then Jana walked in the door "Whoa. it smells in here."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:28 AM

    I can't wait til I start teaching August about the wonders of Spam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:01 PM

    I'm so proud of you. Way to carry on the tradition. Heidi will eat geitost but we haven't mastered fiskeballer. I think a trip to Ikea is in the works.
    Kusine Lisa

    ReplyDelete